Ikea recalls 'strangle hazard' lamps

Ikea Thailand is recalling a range of lights designed for children's bedrooms following reports that an infant in a cot in Scotland died after getting entangled with the cord from a lamp.

The company issued a statement urging customers who own one of their Smila mounted wall lights to check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children in cot or playpens. 

Consumers should also make sure the cord of the lamp is securely fastened to the wall, because loose lamp cords can pose a strangulation hazard to infants and young children, the statement said.

Though there have been no reports of injuries relating to the lamps in Thailand, the company is offering customers a free repair kit containing self-adhesive fasteners to fix the lamp cord to the wall.

Ikea also reiterated the fact that products with cords such as curtains and blinds can also pose a strangulation hazard. Accessible cords should always be kept out of reach of young children, the company's statement said. 

Share your thoughts

Discussion 1 : 11/12/2013 at 06:29 PM
yeah, and coffee is hot, you may burn yourself, microwave ovens are not to dry cats, this cereal tablet has been elaborated on machine that process nuts, this product may contain traces of lactose and blah blah blah... Are we that stupid that we need all these warnings?

Back to top

More From Bangkokpost.com