Blast work of third-hand, says poll

A majoritity of people believe the grenade explosion on Banthat Thong road on Friday that killed one and injured at least 36 protesters of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) was the work of a third party, according an opinion survey carried out by Suan Dusit Poll.

The poll was carried out on 1,369 people in Bangkok and nearby provinces between Jan 17-18 to gauge their opinion on the incident.

Most of the respondents, 71.32%, were of the opinion that the incident was too violent without proper reason; 16.98% thought it was part of an ongoing political game aimed at scaring away the protesters, and 11.7% wanted the authorities to quickly find the culprits and take stricter preventive measures.

Asked who they thought was responsible for the attack, 68.27% believed it was the work of a third party, 20.67% pointed to groups of politicians, 7.7% blamed it on influential persons, and 3.36% thought it might be the work of either the government or the PDRC.

The majority, 57.56%, of the respondents believed the blast would result in more people joining the protest, but the rest, or 42.44%, thought otherwise.

A huge majority, or 82.3%, believed more violent incidents would occur, but 16.29% were not certain, while only 1.41% thought there would be no more of such incidents.

Share your thoughts

Discussion 1 : 19/01/2014 at 04:08 PM
Until someone is caught it is just a guess as to the purpose of the attacks if they are indeed related.
Discussion 2 : 19/01/2014 at 04:08 PM
The mention of the mythical, disembodied third hand always makes me think of the Addams family. As intriguing as this image is, it doesn't really help me get a clearer picture of the political situation in Thailand..
Discussion 3 : 19/01/2014 at 04:06 PM
corvettelover, it would be strategically counter productive to Yingluck if the bombs were her works. Logically, it makes no sense why they would put fuel into the fire. I think there's a lot to be investigated. If there is anything, I hope it is a third party, maybe a cynical small mob who have no allegiance and who just want to cause chaos in Thailand. The last thing anyone wants is some conspiracy that a particular political party was behind this.
Discussion 4 : 19/01/2014 at 03:47 PM
Third party!! Well that solves that then....errrr....not. Glad that is the result of a poll, or will that be official result of any investigation as well, as people seem to accept it anyway? Why cause waves.
Discussion 5 : 19/01/2014 at 02:02 PM
A poll was conducted is to add something reasonably good to your boring life. Just like adding butter on your bread and sugar to your cup of tea to please you and propitiate you. Don't you know Thailand is a wonderland?
Discussion 6 : 19/01/2014 at 01:23 PM
It could be more fatal if they did it professionally. Thailand is a land of protest and infighting since 1782.
Discussion 7 : 19/01/2014 at 01:21 PM
Third party. MIB. Invisible hand. Was it Yinluck or Suthep themselves? Have protesters blow themselves into peaces? Of course not and of course it was a "third party", but who did they work for? isn`t it very plausible that there are "third hands and men in black" working for both sides? How can one believe that extremists are only to be found on the opposite side?? And what do polls help about it other than stir up emotions and hatred? If you have nothing to report, please just don`t.
Discussion 8 : 19/01/2014 at 01:19 PM
At least someone takes the trouble to do something to please the public. It is a boring day if you look at it(protest) differently.
Discussion 9 : 19/01/2014 at 01:09 PM
Well one does not expect the PDRC to admit it was a poorly executed publicity stunt.
Discussion 10 : 19/01/2014 at 12:53 PM
A poll of consolation.
Discussion 11 : 19/01/2014 at 12:51 PM
Do you think is it not possible? Politic is sometimes played dirty.
Discussion 12 : 19/01/2014 at 12:46 PM
A poll only in Bangkok probably isn't too accurate at the moment.
Discussion 13 : 19/01/2014 at 12:31 PM
The old third party story again
Discussion 14 : 19/01/2014 at 12:17 PM
Now that the mob has weighed in, no need for the police to investigate further. Case officially closed!
Discussion 15 : 19/01/2014 at 12:06 PM
Since when can you trust a poll in Thailand.

Back to top

More From Bangkokpost.com