Abhisit: I won't vote

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says he will not vote in Sunday's election.

In a message posted in his Facebook page, Mr Abhisit said he would not vote because the election was unconstitutional and would not serve the purpose of an election under a democratic system as expected.

“I clearly state my stance in advance because I do not want anyone to incite trouble at the Sawasdee Wittaya school polling station," he said.

The polling station is located near Mr Abhisit’s residence in Soi Sukhumvit 31.

Share your thoughts

Discussion 1 : 02/02/2014 at 12:09 PM
Again, that's is individual's right even though it's also his own loss. He scares no one by doing so.
Discussion 2 : 02/02/2014 at 01:13 AM
Voting, no voting, blocking poll and claiming the poll unconstitutional. All these are parts of the political chess between the Democrat and PT. Time will tell who is a better player.
Discussion 3 : 01/02/2014 at 06:43 PM
@ brassman they would i;m sure, but mediation is tricky because all sides want to call the shots absolutely. The PTP seem to fear reform unless they are wording it. That is very suspicious
Discussion 4 : 01/02/2014 at 06:41 PM
the protesters are hardly laying siege to the capital are they? Have you been to some of the rally sites? I suggest you go, you'll be surprised at the mood, atmosphere and the outlook at the people there. They are far from anarchists like you seem to imply
Discussion 5 : 01/02/2014 at 06:00 PM
Well, that`s what you get, when you have an installed interim government / council / military regime making reforms on the constitution without democratic or any legal procedure. And when all attempts to make any amendments to this questionable constitution are blocked and demonized by the opposition party and the courts.
Discussion 6 : 01/02/2014 at 05:27 PM
A man of Principle, I would have said.
Discussion 7 : 01/02/2014 at 05:05 PM
Election must be held on 1 day, not on many days and not on other days after the election day. And advance voters cannot vote after the polls, but before the polls. Yes, I understand that this might be unconstitutional.
Discussion 8 : 01/02/2014 at 04:57 PM
This one he has to proof. That means he will ask the Constitutional Court next week, whether this election was constitutional or not.
Discussion 9 : 01/02/2014 at 04:43 PM
No vote is a lack of sportsmanship attitude.
Discussion 10 : 01/02/2014 at 03:36 PM
Last election, the "reds" got 48%, the "yellows" 35 %, all other parties in between got 17% altogether. Tomorrow, no "yellows" are registered, the "reds" will likely NOT get the vote from unhappy rice farmers. Mathematically, the "reds" will get less than 48%, and the other parties together could garner 52 % and form a strong coalition. This would exclude the two main fighting parties of the last two decades! This mix of parties could also be in a very good position to discuss their own differences and make compromises, desperately needed in this country. No single strong power= better balance.
Discussion 11 : 01/02/2014 at 03:31 PM
The people, "We don't care!"
Discussion 12 : 01/02/2014 at 03:12 PM
That's right. But this election was called according to the Constitution and issued under Royal decree. Your opposition to TS, YS or PT should not cloud the fact that denying people their right to vote is what dictatorships do. Also, you shout but provide no evidence of election rigging. If found, the EC is empowered to disqualify candidates.
Discussion 13 : 01/02/2014 at 03:06 PM
nobody should vote in a rigged election called by a dictatorship.
Discussion 14 : 01/02/2014 at 02:27 PM
Funny you use the term puppet when this fraudulent government is " run" by the biggest puppet in Thai history….
Discussion 15 : 01/02/2014 at 02:14 PM
What a pitiable state...ex PM of Thailand and Leader of Opposition...!!
Discussion 16 : 01/02/2014 at 02:12 PM
Perhaps, this the governance vision of the Democratic party: don't talk, don't vote, but laying siege to the capital ... well, OK. Were is the wisdom in any of this?
Discussion 17 : 01/02/2014 at 02:12 PM
More fool you if you don't.
Discussion 18 : 01/02/2014 at 01:53 PM
Paragon of democracy, they. Not voting means you can't stand for office, but maybe they haven't thought that far ahead. I'll posit 'The D Word' has about as much depth as the politician's smile.
Discussion 19 : 01/02/2014 at 01:37 PM
A true Democract at work. What a waste of talent. That's what can happen when you are weak and puppet to larger power.
Discussion 20 : 01/02/2014 at 01:25 PM
The leader of a political party which calls itself 'The Democratic Party' is not going to vote! Truly bizarre.
Discussion 21 : 01/02/2014 at 01:17 PM
Any honest reformer would welcome a vote on their ideas.
Discussion 22 : 01/02/2014 at 12:57 PM
Do not turn out to block as well
Discussion 23 : 01/02/2014 at 12:52 PM
Any honest government would welcome reform .

Back to top

More From Bangkokpost.com