Man blind after using herbal eye drops

A man who suffered vision problems after an accident has lost an eye after using herbal eye drops not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

FDA deputy secretary-general Pathom Sawanpanyalert said the authority was informed of the incident by the network of ophthalmologists.

The 41-year-old man had developed a severe infection in his left eye after using the herbal drops.

An eye specialist had to remove the infected eye. The bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa was found in infected eye and also in the eye drops.

Dr Pathom said the bacteria was the main reason for the infection of the retina. These  herbal eye drops, sold under the “Mor Yom Tha Yai” brand, did not have FDA approval and there was no FDA licence information shown on the label as required by law.

The label states the eye drops can be used for the relief of pinkeye, trachoma and cataracts, but there is no  information about the ingredients and also no information on the internet about these eye drops. 

Dr Pathom warned the public not to use medical products that do not have FDA approval, especially eye drops as people may risk of going blind.

Share your thoughts

Discussion 1 : 07/02/2014 at 04:55 PM
Yes but in addition the company should notify all of its merchants about the contamination as well as an effort to notify the public. A recall. There exist safe natural products but any product can become dangerously contaminated.
Discussion 2 : 06/02/2014 at 12:31 PM
Pseudomonas aeruginosa can potentially contaminate ANY eye drop product whether it is FDA approved or not. The ingredients should have been listed on the product though. Many pharmacies are not staffed with a pharmacist but with non trained clerks that can also sell the wrong product.
Discussion 3 : 06/02/2014 at 10:52 AM
Would it be a good idea to ban production of these eye drops and hold the producer and/or seller accountable for the damage caused?

Back to top

More From Bangkokpost.com