FDA deputy secretary-general Pathom Sawanpanyalert said the authority was informed of the incident by the network of ophthalmologists.
The 41-year-old man had developed a severe infection in his left eye after using the herbal drops.
An eye specialist had to remove the infected eye. The bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa was found in infected eye and also in the eye drops.
Dr Pathom said the bacteria was the main reason for the infection of the retina. These herbal eye drops, sold under the “Mor Yom Tha Yai” brand, did not have FDA approval and there was no FDA licence information shown on the label as required by law.
The label states the eye drops can be used for the relief of pinkeye, trachoma and cataracts, but there is no information about the ingredients and also no information on the internet about these eye drops.
Dr Pathom warned the public not to use medical products that do not have FDA approval, especially eye drops as people may risk of going blind.