Suthep fails to delay indictment again

Prosecutors on Thursday rejected Suthep Thaugsuban's request to again postpone his indictment on charges of premeditated and attempted murder in connection with the 2010 political violence.

The People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protest leader has been ordered to report to the prosecution office by Feb 13.

Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Mr Suthep have been charged with premeditated and attempted murder for ordering the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) to crack down on red-shirt protesters with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) in 2010, resulting in more than 90 deaths and hundreds of injuries.

Mr Abhisit reported for indictment in December last year. But Mr Suthep, now leading PDRC protests demanding the resignation of caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her government, has sought several postponements of his indictment, using his involvement in the rallies as an excuse.

He was last ordered to report to the prosecution today.

Viroj Phumsirisawat, Mr Suthep's lawyer, today submitted a request to Nanthasak Poonsuk, director-general of the Special Cases Litigation Department, asking for another deferment until March 6, reasoning that Mr Suthep was still engaged in a political rally and must take care of the PDRC protesters following his lead.

Mr Viroj said Mr Suthep's request was considered at a meeting of prosecutors, who decided to reject it on the grounds that the Criminal Court has made an appointment to examine evidence in the case on March 24, and the attorney-general ordered his indictment in October last year.

He said prosecutors instead ordered Mr Suthep to report for indictment by Feb 13, otherwise a court warrant would be sought for his arrest.

Share your thoughts

Back to top

More From Bangkokpost.com