Boy electrocuted in Songkran party

A teenage boy has died and another is in a coma after being electrocuted by a foam generator used in Songkran celebrations in Pichit province on Sunday afternoon.

Share on Google+
LINE it!

The incident occurred at an outdoor foam party — held by Pichit municipality as part of its Songkran activities — on an artificial beach in Bung Si Fai swamp. The event was attended by thousands of revellers, mostly young people.

Witnesses said the two boys were standing near one of the foam machines when it appeared that water seeped into a power cable and electrocuted them. This caused mass panic among bystanders who fled in all directions from fear of also being electrocuted. 

Prakasit Uwawes, mayor of Pichit municipality, immediately ordered the event to be closed off.

The boys were identified as Peechakorn Boonpu, 14, and Patiwet Tiangkijsuwan, 16. They were both rushed to Pichit provincial hospital. Peechakorn was pronounced dead at the hospital and Patiwat was taken into an intensive care unit. 

City Clerk Prajet Sriloy said the foam generator belonged to Dittasapon Nusonthi Co, a private company from Mae Wong district of Nakhon Sawan, hired to organise the foam party by the municipality. An investigation was underway and the municipality would look into legal action against the company, he said. 

Share your thoughts

Back to top

More From