Grieving mum targets Songkran fair

PICHIT — The mother of a 14-year-old who was electrocuted at a Songkran activity organised by Pichit municipality has vowed to bring harsh legal action against those found responsible for the death of her son.

Mrs Chomwalai Yusawat, 45, mother of Peechakorn Boonpu, said on Monday she was really angry that the organiser of the event failed to ensure the safety of those taking part, Thai Rath online reported.

She said her son was part of the Pichit youth taekwondo team, had a bright future ahead of him, and had wanted to be a physician.

Mrs Chomwalai said she would ensure her son's death is fully investigated  and that those responsible are held accountable for their actions.

Preechakorn was splashing water with other Songkran revellers at an outdoor foam party held as part of Pichit’s Songkran activities in Bung Si Fai swamp on Sunday afternoon when he fell unconscious after getting a massive electric shock.

It was reported one of the foam machines had short circuited and the young teenager received the full charge.

Preechakorn was pronounced dead at the provincial hospital. Another youth, 16-year-old Patiwet Tiangkijsuwan,  was seriously injured  and admitted to an intensive care unit. Prakasit Uwawes, mayor of Pichit municipality, led officials to visit Patiwet at the hospital and talked to his family on Monday morning.

A doctor said Patiwet’s condition had improved but he still needed to be watched.

Mr Prakasit said the municipality would provide assistance to the families of the two boys. Expressing regret and saying no one ever wanted such a tragic accident to occur.

Provincial police chief Saksit Narapisut said police are still investigating. All evidence has to be reviewed and all those involved questioned before charges can be pressed.  

Share your thoughts

Back to top

More From Bangkokpost.com