What’s trending and happening this week
- 5 Aug 2017 at 04:00
- WRITER: KORNRAWEE PANYASUPPAKUN AND KANIN SRIMANEEKULROJ
1. Our favourite female chef of the moment is back in town. Hong Thaimee, of Ngam restaurant in New York, will be creating an 8-course East Meets West dinner with Park Society's chef de cuisine Joost Bijster to celebrate Thai Women's Day and Mother's Day next week. Some of the dishes will hail from Hong's Chiang Mai background and blend with Western influences, be it the khao soy with foie gras bon bons or meringue with sticky rice and mango. On the Western menu, Bijster offers Iberico lamb and cinnamon doughnuts. This Mother's Day Special is available from Aug 11-14 at Park Society, SO Sofitel Bangkok at 2,950++ baht per person. For reservations, call 02-624-0000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Today at 10.30am, head to The Commons Thonglor for a special Kombucha Brewing Workshop. Taught by Tipp Phungtham and Brett Casper of Pure Luck Bangkok, the 2.5-hour workshop will teach you all the secrets of brewing kombucha, such as how to choose the right sugar to sweeten your drink. The class costs 3,600 baht, and will net you a bottle of Pure Luck kombucha, as well as a glass brewing kit, good for a month's worth of the aromatic tea. Call 0891522677 or email email@example.com.
3. LUSH Thailand has (finally!) launched their online store and now with a few clicks of the button their colourful home-made products will be delivered right to your front door -- so long as it's in Thailand. There are also fantastic products exclusive to online customers like the Metamorphosis Bath Bomb and the exquisite Cynthia Sylvia Stout Shampoo, to name but a few. Be on the lookout for surprises and keep your eyes on its official social media page in the upcoming days. Check out the site at th.lush.com or visit the store at Ground Floor, Siam Center.
4. There's new chic-lit in Asia Books stores. Among them is Party Girls Die In Pearls, the first of another gripping mystery series written by best-selling author Plum Sykes. Set in the 1980s on Oxford University campus, England, the story follows how Ursula Flowerbutton, a diligent country girl, and her friend attempt to unravel the mystery surrounding the murder of her beautiful classmate -- found dead with her throat slit. Will they be able to draw out the murderer from a surfeit of suspects or will they fall victims to the killer? Find out in Party Girls Die In Pearls, 550 baht.
5. Nothing can bring tears of joy to mum better than a heartwarming time spent with her loved ones. With this upcoming Mother's Day, why not bring the family together and treat your loved ones to a buffet at a top restaurant? Latest Recipe, Le Meridien Bangkok serves up two choices: a weekend seafood dinner buffet (1,600++) and Mother's Day International Lunch Buffet (1,100++). The former offers complimentary dining and the latter a fun cooking class for mum. If freshly-cooked dishes at live cooking counters, mouth-watering seafood, sizzling carvings of beef and lamb, or wonderful desserts suit your tastes (or mum's), this may be the place for you. For reservations, call 02-232-8888.