The Social Development and Human Security Ministry has agreed to a proposal for a lump-sum package instead of the monthly assistance now paid by the government, said Prawais Em-amorn, a key member of the Association of October 14 Relatives.The ministry has asked the elderly relatives and victims of the 1973 incidents to wait until the current payments to victims of more recent political violence have been made. Once the attention surrounding the current payments has died down, the ministry would seek cabinet endorsement for a package for others who suffered four decades ago, added Lamied Boonmark, the chairwoman of the association.Lamied’s husband Jira, a master’s student at the National Institute of Development Administration, was killed on Oct 14, 1973, during pro-democracy rallies that brought down the military government of Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn.While she welcomed the compensation for the families of the red-shirts, Lamied, 67, said she wanted the Yingluck government to speed up reparations to victims of state violence in the 1970s as well.After Oct 14, 1973, the Sanya Dharmasak government set up a 30-million-baht fund, managed by the Foundation for the October Victims, to provide monthly support of 400 baht to relatives of the dead or injured. The fund closed in 2004, after which the Thaksin Shinawatra administration paid 250,000 baht to the families of each of those who died."Some relatives did not want to get involved with the issue again, so they faded out, but some 60 people believe we have to group together to help each other in times of dire need, such as when someone is hospitalised or cremated," said Mr Prawais, 59.The Association of the 14 October Relatives previously sought help from the Abhisit Vejjajiva government. Sathit Wongnongtoey, then a PM's Office minister, promised them 7,000 baht per month in cost of living support."The relatives have agreed [to settle for] a one-time final figure of 1.2 million baht, as we are already old and dying. Since early this year, three people have already passed away. This is the last request from relatives of those whom society calls 'heroes'," said Mr Prawais, who was shot by an M16 rifle bullet in the upper thigh.In another development, uncertainty has arisen in connection with compensation for some red-shirt members involved in the events of May 2010. It's not clear if those now charged with offences will receive compensation if they are acquitted by the courts.Jiem Thongmak and Arthit Baosuwan have just received a document from the Southern Bangkok Criminal Court to confirm that their cases have reached the final stage.The two were among seven defendants charged with violations of the emergency decree, robbery, and fighting against the authorities during the CentralWorld fire on May 19, 2010. In December 2011, the court acquitted the two of the two latter charges; they have confessed to the emergency decree violations.The pair have to wait until all possible appeals have been exhausted before they could obtain documents as free people.However, they still wonder if they would be entitled to receive the compensation from the Yingluck government."This still excludes the jail term we have served. We were imprisoned more than a year longer than we should have been," said Mrs Jiem, 47. "The emergency decree violation carries six months' imprisonment but we were in prison for nearly two years."