Champions League: Liverpool draw, City cruise

Liverpool's Joe Gomez fouls Sevilla’s Joaquin Correa and is sent off after receiving a second yellow card. (Reuters photo)

Liverpool paid a heavy price for a first-half penalty miss as Sevilla grabbed a late equaliser to earn a 2-2 draw in their Champions League group E opener at Anfield on Wednesday (Thursday Thailand time).

The Premier League side had been cruising after overcoming the shock of Wissam Ben Yedder's fifth-minute goal to lead 2-1 at halftime.

Final scores
Liverpool 2, Sevilla 2
NK Maribor 1, Spartak Moskva 1
Feyenoord 0, Manchester City 4
Shakhtar Donetsk 2, Napoli 1
FC Porto 1, Besiktas 3
RB Leipzig 1, Monaco 1
Real Madrid 3, Apoel Nicosia 0
Tottenham Hotspur 3, Borussia Dortmund 1

But Roberto Firmino, who had scored Liverpool's first on 21 minutes, struck a post with a penalty just before the break, shortly after Mohamed Salah had put them ahead.

Despite Liverpool dominating the second period, it was Sevilla who scored through Joaquin Correa.

Philippe Coutinho received a standing ovation from the Anfield faithful when he appeared as a substitute on 76 minutes for his first appearance since asking for a transfer, while Liverpool's Joe Gomez was sent off for a second booking in stoppage time.

In a Group F clash at Rotterdam, striker Sergio Aguero scored his 50th goal in European club competitions as Manchester City romped to a record 4-0 victory over Feyenoord.

Defender John Stones bagged a brace of headed goals and Brazilian forward Gabriel Jesus netted the other as City inflicted the heaviest-ever home defeat in UEFA club football on the Dutch champions and former European Cup holders.

Aguero reached his milestone with a typically clinical finish from Kyle Walker’s cross as City made a fast start to the game, scoring three times in the opening 25 minutes to stun their hosts and kill off the contest.

Feyenoord, playing in the group stages of the Champions League for the first time in 15 years, never seriously troubled City goalkeeper Ederson who had recovered sufficiently to play, albeit with a rugby-style scrum cap, after receiving a boot to the face from Liverpool’s Sadio Mane in a 5-0 Premier League win on Saturday.

Back to top