Duterte refuses call to open his bank accounts to scrutiny

Philippines 'President Rodrigo Duterte stands at attention during a courtesy call with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Economic Ministers in Manila, Philippines, Sept 6, 2017. (Reuters photo)

MANILA: The Philippine president refused a demand by his most vocal critic to publicly release details of his bank accounts to disprove allegations that he had large sums of undeclared money.

President Rodrigo Duterte said in a news conference Wednesday that if opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes IV wanted “to get evidence, do not get it from my mouth. You must be stupid ... Why would I give you the pleasure?”

Mr Trillanes first alleged Mr Duterte had unexplained wealth during the presidential campaign last year. In February, he publicly raised the issue again because he said Mr Duterte had not yet revealed details of the more than 2 billion pesos ($39 million) he allegedly kept in bank accounts as a former city mayor.

The content shown above is only a small part of the full content, which we reserve for Bangkok Post digital archive subscription members. Please log in or subscribe to get the full content.

Back to top